VM-502 Communication Skills Course
Orientation Lecture--February 26
Small Group Sessions--Thursdays March 5 through April 16
(with the exception of spring break)
Final Case--April 23
Video Review--April 30
- Sam [Samantha] Schmidt, 509-229-2313; Sylk, 9 year old bay Arabian mare; Farm Call; suspected vaccination reaction
- What are potential complications or adverse outcomes from vaccinations?
- How do you determine severity of those complications based on history and timeline?
- Laura [Lou] Lawson, 509-563-3113; Joey, 8 year old neutered male Springer Spaniel; Veterinary Teaching Hospital Oncology Service appointment; lump on leg
- What are differentials and diagnostic approaches to superficial masses?
- What historical information could be helpful in making a diagnosis?
- Who can seek medical care for a veterinary patient (owner, trainer, etc.) and under what circumstances?
- Donna [Don] Drake, 509-366-3249; Holstein Heifers; farm call; for routine pregnancy checks and check cow with diarrhea
- What are causes of diarrhea in cattle?
- Are any of those causes a potential concern for human health?
- What are important factors in determining biosecurity protocols on farms?
- Cary Gordon, 509-244-2536; Chickens-2 Araucana and 2 Barred Rock; Farm Call; Feather picking/Bullying
- What are components of backyard chicken husbandry?
- What are causes of chicken aggression?
- What do you need to understand about small-scale chicken operations to help clients manage a healthy flock?
- The Kittredges, 509-727-4213; Sasha, 2 year old spayed domestic short hair cat; private practice appointment; behavior and wellness
- What are important history questions for cat wellness and behavior appointments?
- What are the indications and considerations of declawing adult cats?
- Kathy [Ken] Lawrence, 509-326-2013; Dan, 5 year old neutered male Jack Russell/Heeler mix; private practice appointment; aggressive behavior
- What are the causes of inter-dog aggression?
- How would you identify triggers based on information a client can give you?
- Tucker [Tania] Jones, 509-282-5130; Buck, 12 year old buckskin Quarter Horse gelding; farm call; colic
- What are the common causes of colic in horses?
- What are important risk factors and/or preventative measures that can be associated with colic?
- Nathan [Nancy] Harrison, 509-686-6377; Nummers, recently purchased hedgehog; private practice appointment; general care
- What are the husbandry needs of hedgehogs, chinchillas, turtles, and lizards?
- What are ways that petting zoos and pet stores impact public health?
- Are there any animal welfare considerations for multiple pet households?
- Maria [Marty] Lewis, 509-287-6430; Burnie, 13 year old neutered Australian Cattle dog; private practice appointment; declining health
- What are the impacts/outcomes of end-stage liver disease in dogs?
- How do you help clients make end of life decisions?
- Elmer [Elma] Hohol, 509-546-6876; Limousine Heifers; Farm call; low pregnancy rates
- What are causes of low pregnancy rates in herd production animals?
- What factors are important in management that might affect weight gain and pregnancy rates?
Orientation Lecture--February 22
Small Group Sessions--Thursdays starting March 1 through April 12 (with the exception of spring break)
Final Case--April 19
Video Review--April 26
- The Core Document (required reading)
- Gray, C., & Moffett, Jenny. (2010). Handbook of veterinary communication skills. Chichester, West Sussex; Ames, Iowa: Wiley-Blackwell. Animal Health Library Open Reserves SF610.5 .H364
- Adams C, Kurtz S. (2017) Skills for Communicating in Veterinary Medicine. Oxford, UK: Otmoor Publishing and Parsippany, NJ: Dewpoint Publishing.