Tools, Resources & References
Looking to add to your communication toolbox? Included below are a variety of the resources upon which our program is founded and that we continue to turn to regularly for guidance in our day-to-day work.
We invite you to peruse these materials and welcome you to employ them in pursuit of your own communication objectives and/or to help address the communication challenges faced by your group/organization.
Give credit where credit is due. Please make use of the references accompanying these materials and always cite appropriately. Thank you!
WSU students/faculty/staff may access the materials below by clicking on the underlined article titles. Non-WSU affiliated viewers, please feel free to copy any/all of the following references to help expedite your search.
- Schwartz PH. Decision Aids, Prevention, and the Ethics of Disclosure. Hastings Center Report. 2011;41:30–39. doi: 10.1353/hcr.2011.0029.
- Wagner J, Liston B, Miller J. Developing interprofessional communication skills. Teaching and Learning in Nursing. 2011;6(3):97-101. doi: 10.1016/j.teln.2010.12.003.
- Robins L, Witteborn S, Miner L, Mauksch L, Edwards K, Brock D. Identifying transparency in physician communication. Patient Education and Counseling. 2011;83(1):73-79. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2010.05.004.
- Kristensen E, Jakobsen E B. Challenging the myth of the irrational dairy farm; understanding decision-making related to herd health. New Zealand Veterinary Journal. 2011;59(1):1-7. doi: 10.1080/00480169.2011.547162.
- Makoul G. Essential Elements of Communication in Medical Encounters: The Kalamazoo Consensus Statement. Academic Medicine. 2001;76(4):390-393.
- Cary J, Kurtz S. Integrating clinical communication with clinical reasoning and the broader medical curriculum. Patient Education and Counseling. 2013;92(3):361-65. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2013.07.007.
- Shaw JR, Adams CL, Bonnett BN. What can veterinarians learn from studies of physician-patient communication about veterinarian-client-patient communication? Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 2004;224(5):676-84. doi: 10.2460/javma.2004.224.676.
- Cary JA, Farnsworth KD, Kurtz S. Telephone Communication in Emergency Cases: A Training Program for Veterinary Students. 2015;42(3):130-35. doi: http://dxdoi.org/10.3138/jvme.37.2.130.
- Kurtz S, Silverman J, Benson J, Draper J. Marrying Content and Process in Clinical Method Teaching: Enhancing the Calgary-Cambridge Guides. Academic Medicine. 2003;78(8):802-09.
- Back AL, Arnold RM, Baile WF, Tulsky JA, Fryer-Edwards K. What Makes Education in Communication Transformative? Journal of Cancer Education. 2009;24(1):160-62. doi: 10.1080/08858190902854863.